Saturday, January 24, 2009

Storing finishing tools




















So we are 2 months in the new building in Williamsburg , and there is still a lot of work to be done in getting the bindery ready.The wooden floor was refinished , walls painted , we painted the door red.(i figured we could use the good fortune)
The rest of the building is actually a building site , as they are still working on the bottom 2 floors for Talas .We only got a phone line last week , and we wont have the internet until february , and it has not been uncommon for me to spend days not binding , but building thresholds , and pouring concrete!!
One of the challenges we face right now is storage. So with this in mind , I came up with a good solution for storing your decorative finishing wheels. I have seen this kind of thing in binderies before .
Clipped to the wall , they are easy to see , reach and get at , and you don`t need to build a cabinet .
If you need to move them , just remove the wooden boards and screw them in elsewhere, so they are portable too!I made wooden panels covered in suede to protect the wheels , and prevent them from scratching and hitting the wall.I hope to fill the whole wall!!!!!!!!I looked in all hardware stores for the particular horsehoe spring clip.....you can only get them online

5 comments:

The Gilded Leaf www.gildedleafbindery.com said...

Hi. I'm curious about who made/makes your tools. Unusual to see such shiny, matching wheels, and they don't look like P&S or FineCut handles. I need new handles for some of my own...

Bob

Paper dragon books said...

hi bob ,
the wheels are cut by p and s
the handles i get from Talas , and they come in three widths ,
small standard and big
standard usually fits all but the really big ones
what i like about them is they have a metal cuff that protects the wood which is is also fixed in place by a nail....so its not gonna slip off
they are shiny because i polish them!!

Paper dragon books said...

oh!
do you think the handles come p+s?

The Gilded Leaf www.gildedleafbindery.com said...

I've had handles directly from P&S, but they were not nicely turned like yours, and with no brass ferrule. Looks like the Talas handles are much nicer. My own assortment of wheels is much too motley to hang up, and I have no wall space. I'm using a large composing table that is deep enough to slide wheels into a section cut for shelves; only the wheels themselves protrude. They are here. http://www.gildedleafbindery.com/embossing.htm

Paper dragon books said...

bob,
great looking bindery ,
that probably what mine will look like in a few decades!!!
you`ve got much more type than me too....
i have only recently started finishing(by hand seriously=last 4/5 years)so all the stuff is new naturally .
I really mdo like the talas handles
as they have what i think is a copper fork too...
talk to aaron salik